My Blog List

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Day One

"Focusing on ourselves will never reveal our life's purpose."

There has been so much activity in the past few months that I haven't really taken the time to collect all of my thoughts and reflect on them. Now that the Fall semester is done and in the books, I was hoping that the clarity that I had found this summer would come back to me. I honestly believe that it is beginning to and am very grateful for that. By trying to understand what is going on inside and around me makes me wonder and observe so many things.

Last week I witnessed an extremely humbling site. I was at home, busy as all get out, trying to get things done being it was the last week of the semester and finals week. I had lost sight of the big picture and was quickly reminded of how truly blessed I am, for all things great and small in my life. I heard the dogs barking in the pen and just happened to glance out to see what all the commotion was about, which is not abnormal for Sam and Riley, they are very good watch dogs. I saw Sam was at the back of the pen and was baying pretty stoutly. I looked across the alley and saw a man dressed in a long black trench coat with his little dog under his arm rummaging through my neighbors trash. Now I am not trying to stereotype, but the signs seemed obvious, he was economically less fortunate that I. I was so humbled to think how blessed am I that I have a roof over my head and enough food to fill my belly. I realized he was rummaging for treasures. Now I don't mean dumpster diving, where people find good used items to refurbish or sell as is, I mean rummaging for scraps of food. I noticed he had found some things he thought were worth while, fed one or two morsels to his dog and placed the rest in a plastic bag that he found in the garbage can. I had an overwhelming feeling come over me! I could not believe that I had lost sight of such blessing that have been before me to make the lesson have to have that large of a magnitude. I have seen and interacted with many homeless people in my lifetime, from hustlers, beggars, con artists, and genuine 'down on there luck' homeless people. Some of them have left an impact on me while others have not. In one of my earlier posts from Seattle this summer I had such an occurrence with a gentleman and elaborated on it.

Witnessing this man rummaging through my neighbors garbage stopped me dead in my tracks and Thank God for everything I have. Everyone has hardships in their life. I feel I can honestly say that I have had a pretty good life, all things considered and am grateful and very blessed to have experienced what I have in my life.



I have been searching for quite some time, of how I fit into this world. With the calmness of the winter break I am going to try and extend my search and see where I end up. Many things have occurred at times when they were appropriate lately (the last year or two). I have witnessed many things that I can not simply 'chalk up' to coincidence any longer and need to search for the meaning, which I already am suspect to the importance.

I would like to extend a holiday blessing to all of my fellow brother's and sisters, not only during the holiday season, but each and everyday. May you all be with your loved ones and family during this special time of the year. May all of your travels be safe and when you break bread realize the importance of it and give Thanks for your blessings!

Have a safe and happy holiday season and may all of our protectors make it home safely to once again get to experience their families as we do ours while they make the ultimate sacrifice for you and I.

God Bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment