My Blog List

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Lesson learned









Right after school was out a friend of mine and his wife moved back to Topeka. I was looking forward to a good weekend of hiking a new nature filled trial and doing some camping this past weekend. I met Chris and Andrea in Manhattan and hiked the Konza Grassland and camped at Tuttle Creek area. I have found a new fondness for eastern Kansas. There were so many outdoor activities in the area. The air was so thick this weekend you could almost cut it with a knife. It sure made for a nice sweaty hike. Riley was pretty hot but she found a nice stream to swim in and cool off a couple of times. I really enjoyed the weekend. It has pretty much wrapped up my summer. I have to reiterate, this has been a VERY memorable summer. Filled with good people and good times, the lake with several friends, the field trips, the musical, the camping and hiking, and can't forget the canoeing. It has been a blast!!! I truly appreciate and thank everyone for this summer.


As I was cleaning the kennel this morning I started thinking about things. I remember when I was in high school, I told myself, when I could afford it I wanted to buy a nice Ford 3/4 diesel pickup. Well a couple of years ago I got one. I nice, shiny, 2001 F-350 extended cab Superduty diesel. Just what I was wanting. I searched from Houston to Chicago for this thing. I finally found a huge dealership up by Omaha that had all sorts in stock. I went up there that weekend, test drove I bet, almost ten of them. I told the salesman EXACTLY what I was wanting. Color, cloth, trim package, mileage, everything... I finally found just the one I wanted. I had searched quite some time for this thing, talked to numerous dealers, searched the internet and car lots in multiple cities. That pickup was pretty nice. By far, the nicest vehicle I had ever owned. I drove it all the time, washed it every week and kept it pretty clean. Other than my one little escapade in the Plainville lake (which took a backhoe to get me out) that thing was baby'ed. Well then I started seeing what the upkeep, liscensing, and taxes cost. Let alone the $250 dollars a week I was spending in fuel just to get back and forth from work. I started rethinking.
I had always wanted this pickup. Dreamed about it for years. Just exactly what I had wanted for years.

I finally realized that what I had wanted all of these years was not the most practical for my situation. I learned a hard lesson during the course of this whole adventure. Think out what you want before you go and try and find it.

I have come to the point in my life that I have learned to want everything that is in front of me. I have so much to be thankful in my life. I have wonderful family on both of my parents sides. I have been blessed to have some amazing people come into my life. I have outgrown the stage of 'wanting what you can't have, and not wanting what you can have.' I have learned to be very thankful for what is in my life while it is there. I have a heart-felt appreciation for the opportunities God has allowed me to experience.

There is a quote I once read about a little bird. The little bird would lay in the cold dark night, beak clattering, shivering, saying once the sun came out he would build a warm nest for the coming nights. When the sun came up the next day, he basked in the warm sun, falling asleep finally warmed by the rays of the warm sun, not thinking about the next night when the sun would go down. He fall asleep warm and happy and didn't think much past that thought.

I guess what I am saying is that I have learned to take care of the things that have been placed in front of me. Not 'wanting' or 'wishing' for things that are not practical for my life. Trying to be the most realistic and makinig due with what I have been blessed with. I try not to take things for granted when I am face to face with them. I don't want them when they are unobtainable. Taking everyday and making the most of it makes for a very enriching life.

I say to you, all of my brothers and sisters, never forget to cultivate your mind. Take what is in front of you as it may not be there for long. All of our days are numbered on this Earth and may happy souls sing and dance in the heavens above!!

I wish you all Love and may peace be with you...



P.S.-I really miss Tracy, Emily and Jonas. I hope to get to see you all when I get back. Love you guys!!

1 comment:

  1. Jeff, You are still so young and yet you have the wisdom of a much older person. Not many of us realize what you evidently do. Just one more reason you blow me away this last several months with your words and your actions. You have a great attitude and deserve all that is good in your life.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete