My Blog List

Sunday, July 26, 2009



















Thanks to Tracy and Emily I knew of a few places to go experience while in the Seattle area. We started off the day with Pike Market. That was really cool. We got there while some of the produce stands were still getting there booths ready and the seafood vendors were icing down the fresh catch. Coming from a landlocked state this is not something you get to witness very often. It smelled amazing in the market. There were floral vendors that had many different varieties of flowers. It was beautiful to see all of the different colors in the market. From flower vendors to produce, the variety of color was astonishing. None of these pictures do justice to the diversity of color.

Today was filled of quite a few things I have never witnessed, experienced or have seen before. It was great. I could never live in 'The City', but the diversity is humbling to experience from time to time. We went on the Coast Guard Base in Seattle. This is the first weekend of Seafair, which is a big event in this area. We were told there will be some big Navy vessels in this next week, along with an air show. We didn't get to see any cruisers, carriers or destroyers yet, but we got a really cool tour of a cutter. The USCG Midgett is a 374 ft. cutter that does mostly law enforcement and drug trafficing missions. The ship was named after the Midgett family, which has a LONG lineage of Coast Guard history. There have been over 170 members of the Midgett family that have been enlisted in the USCG. In 1974 (the year the USCG Midgett was launched) the Midgett family had a family reunion aboard the USCG Midgett, and there is a framed picture hanging in one of the portages on the ship. One last thing I noticed in the port was the Alaskian Cruise ships, just calling my name. I have always wanted to go to Yellowstone and Alaska. After Tracy and Emily took there cruise, and they showed me the pictures they took, I have had an evergrowing yearing to get there and experience Alaska. In time I am sure I will make it.

I also got to witness glass blowing for the first time. That was extremely interesting to me. Any form of an artistic talent amazes me. The pieces in the gallery/shop were magnificant. What a talent!!!

I also made a new friend, Penny. I never have seen a penguin in person before. They always looked so much smaller on National Geographic. I was impressed. They sure are friendly little creatures. It was a little bit warmer today so I'm sure he was pretty hot with all of the fat that penguins have.



I'm sure that everyone has moments in their life that just sink deeper than most. Today after we left Pike's Market we were walking to the waterfront and a gentle man approached me. His fingertips were so dry there were cracked. He spoke very softly and looked me in the eyes. It's not just a look that anybody will give you. It wasn't a glare or a stare but this look that goes way beyond your eyes. Not a look of desperation but of comfort. It caught me off guard at first, but as soon as I felt the depth of his eyes, I knew why I stopped to talk to him. I try not to be rude to homeless people. In all honesty, I think some of them have life figured out. No financial responsibilities, not much stress, just the animalistic part of life. Where to find shelter, food, water and the social needs that every human has. I wouldn't say that I envy them, I feel envy is an emotion that usually does not harbor a positive attitude, but I can tell you that I can learn quite a bit from some of them. Whether it be street sense or just a simpler meaning of life, I believe that we can all learn from one another.

I have been a desolate soul before and am not afraid to admit to that. I think knowing where we were or came from can give so much light on where we want to go, what path in life we want to choose for ourselves. If we never examine the past how can we ever plan for the future?

My experiences today took me back to a class I took last fall. I may have talked about this before. Last semester was definitely a changing point in my life, in so many ways. Going back to college made me open my mind and really look more at the bigger picture. Global Environmental Issues was probably one of most favorite classes I have ever taken, for several reasons. For starters, the course material was most interesting to me. Instead of having to buy a $80 or $90 dollar textbook, Dr. Farley choose Collapse by Jared Diamond. A $17 textbook taught me more about life than a $100 dollar textbook. The book talks about several colonazations or tribes and how the outcome of their history was. They 'take home message' from the book was if we never examine our history or past, how can we ever make our future brighter with a more positive outcome. Now, mix the course material with the instructor, and you have nothing but a plater for success and cultivation of the mind. Dr. Farley is one of those instructors that will toss a thought out there and let you teach yourself, learn from those sitting around you, or if no one speaks up will put more things on the plater, and just let the class discussions go in whichever way they go. All within reason that is. It truly was an amazing class. It made me think more about life outside of the narrow halls that some peoples minds wander through.

Don't be afraid to look to new horizons, new thoughts, experiences...try diversifying your life. You never know what you may like or find interesting until you try. And if you don't, well so be it. To each there own, but at the very least, no one can ever say you didn't at least try. I beg each and every one of you, deeply from within my heart, if you have blinders on to take them off and look around you. Truly look around, even at the same things you have seen for a large part of your life. Change your perspective, you viewpoint, where you stand when you look at it, and think, just stop and think about it in a different light. You never know what you might see. Even if only to change you thought patterns for an instant, step out of your everyday box if you feel you are in a 'pattern' of life.

God Bless to each and everyone of you, my fellow brother and sisters. Peace be with you!!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful picture of the USCGC Midgett.

    Midgett was launched on 04 September 1971 and then commissioned on 17 March 1972 - I reported aboard in Nov 1974

    Semper Paratus

    ReplyDelete